Here is the before pic:
You can see that it was in good shape...just a little plain jane and a bit dated.
First, I sanded the piece down with a mouse sander, then sprayed it with a thin coat of primer. After the primer dried, it was time for paint. I had been waiting for the perfect piece to inspire me to venture into the decoupage world, and decided this was it! I found some old scrap book paper in a fun dot print and picked out my paint color based on that. I selected a deep avocado green shade - Rustoleum's Eden in satin finish - and sprayed away. Then I let it dry overnight. (Note: I painted the whole bedside table but left the knobs unpainted because I hadn't decided what I wanted to do with them yet...)
Now for the decoupage portion:
1) After the paint dried overnight, I broke out the Mod Podge and a sponge brush! I purchased the Mod Podge at my local craft store.
2) I cut the paper to size, so it would fit in the recessed portion of the two drawers. The paper seems to expand a bit once the Mod Podge was applied, so I cut the paper slightly smaller than the recessed portion of the drawer fronts, leaving some extra space around the edges.
3) One drawer at a time, I brushed a thin layer of the Mod Podge over the drawer front and a thin layer over the back of the cut paper, then firmly pressed it down onto the drawer. This next part is essential...take a plastic putty knife and gently scrape it over the surface, pressing the paper down and getting out the air bubbles and excess Mod Podge. Then I repeated this entire step for the second drawer. Let the Mod Podge dry for a few hours...patience is a virtue on this step.
4) Once the paper was fully dry and firmly adhered to the drawers, I brushed another thin layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper. Then let it dry completely. (If desired, you can continue layering the Mod Podge on top for a thicker more brush-stroked finish.)
5) Last, I attached the knobs. I decided to go with the old knobs, no refinishing necessary. They had a nice worn-in patina that provided a nice juxtaposition to the new paint job. Bonus - I didn't have to spend money on new knobs!
Here is the after pic:
So much more fun and vibrant that it's former self. And, I'm hoping this piece will last a while into childhood, because it doesn't scream "baby". Since our tiny tot still sleeps in a crib and doesn't need a "bedside table" yet, I placed it next to the rocking chair so we'd have a place to put books for bedtime stories.
Here are two pics of the finished product in the room:
This project took two days because of all the drying time but it was well worth it in the end. And, I'm a Mod Podge convert - it's such a cool substance that really adds a great kick to even the most boring furniture. No wonder it's "stuck" around since the 60s! -Kristen