(all ingredients need to be at room temp for best results so set them out in advance)
3 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
(Do NOT preheat oven and ensure you have two shelves available in the oven - a bottom rack and one positioned at the middle of the oven.)
1. Add vanilla to milk.
2. Grease and flour bunt pan (or 3 large loaf pans).
3. Mix butter, Crisco, and sugar until fluffy and pale yellow throughout.
4. Add one egg at a time, mixing well.
5. Add 1 cup of flour, mix until combined, then 1/2 cup of milk, mix again. Then add another cup of flour, mix until combined, then 1/2 cup of milk, and mix again. Add last cup of flour and mix for 2 minutes.
6. Place a large pan/baking sheet with 1" water on bottom rack in oven.
7. Pour batter into bunt pan (or divide among 3 large loaf pans) and place on rack in middle of oven. Turn oven on to 300 degrees F and cook for 1 hour.
8. After an hour, carefully remove pan with water. Increase oven temp to 350 degrees F and cook an additional 30-35 minutes.
9. Remove pound cake from oven and let cool in bunt pan on baking rack for 15-20 minutes, then turn out of pan onto baking rack and let cool completely before serving.
For best results, after cake completely cools, store in air-tight container for a full day before serving. The flavor really sets in and the cake is even more-perfectly moist!
Hope you enjoy! This recipe is so versatile, it's a keeper for all-year-round. Let me know if you have any cool pound cake serving ideas.