This project is quite easy, doesn't take too much time, and can be made in all sorts of fun shapes (think circles, triangles, rectangles, etc.)! Here's how to do it...
Paper or card stock in a variety of colors/patterns
1. To prepare your paper for a garland with little flag shapes, cut your paper into 3"x3" squares. If you use scrapbook paper (as I did here), simply measure out the paper into 16 squares. Use a ruler and pencil to mark lines on the paper, then cut them out.
2. Fold each square into a triangle along the diagonal.
(if you use a thicker card stock, cut the triangle instead of folding the triangle from the square)
3. Snip off one corner about an inch in from the point...
4. Then the other corner about an inch in from the other point.
5. Use this flag as a guide to cut the others - much easier than eye-balling each one.
6. Repeat until you have stacks of little flag shapes in all your colors/patterns.
7. At this point, you can lay them out in a specific pattern (or you can wing it and not stick to a pattern...either looks cute).
8. Now sew them together along the top flat edge, leaving about a 1/4" clearance from the edge. I left about a 1/4" to 1/2" between each flag.
There you have it! In no time you'll have an adorable handmade paper flag banner to hang and enjoy.