The name is a mouth-full and the flavor is a mouth-full, but golly gee it's soooo good! I found this recipe in the April 2013 Better Homes and Gardens magazine, and knew it would be the perfect recommendation to help you all get rid of some of the ham leftovers from Easter dinner.
(you'll use as much of each as you like)
Gruyere Cheese, thinly sliced
Eggs + dash of Milk, whipped together with a fork in a bowl
1. Lay out 3 slices of bread for each sandwich. Spread apricot preserves over one side of each slice of bread.
2. Place a layer of ham over 2 slices of the above bread, then layer gruyere cheese on top of the ham, then add another thin layer of ham (if you're using thin deli sliced ham).
3. Stack the sandwich with the lone only-apricot preserve bread in the middle.
4. Melt some butter on a hot griddle. Dip both sides of sandwich in egg and milk mixture.
5. Place sandwich on hot griddle and press down. Cook over Med-High heat for several minutes on both sides, ensuring the sandwich browns beautifully and the cheese melts into ooey-gooey goodness.
Serve fresh off the griddle for best results and lots of smiles!
This sandwich will make you never want to eat plain grilled cheese ever, EVER again. Sorry about that...but you'll thank me. ;0)